In recent years, modest fashion has soared in popularity, creating a booming international fashion industry with designers, models and influencers clamouring to join this movement.
More and more women are embracing modest clothing because it caters to a wide range of cultures and religions allowing them to express their personal style while adhering to their values and beliefs, and it changes the perception of what is considered fashionable.
We have some great modest fashion tips on how to style modest clothing for any occasion. Let’s look:
1. Adapt your style for the occasion
Modest clothing can be styled for any occasion, from casual to formal.
For more formal events, opt for:
- A modest dress paired with elegant accessories.
- Tailored blazers.
- Structured jackets.
While for casual outings, you can experiment with:
- A maxi skirt with a comfortable top and a denim jacket.
- Oversized sweaters.
- Flannel shirts.
The shoes you wear can change the entire look of your outfit. Try pairing your modest clothing with chic boots, classy flats, or elegant heels to elevate your look.
2. Choose the right pieces
If you're looking to dress modestly but fashionably, focus on buying versatile pieces that can be styled in multiple ways.
These items will help you dress modest and classy:
- A good pair of modest pants, such as linen pants in various colours and Pilisole pants.
- Pencil skirts, pleated skirts, and Pilisole skirts.
- A few tops such as tunic tops, hoodies, and tunik shirt dresses.
- Silk dresses, long-sleeved dresses and maxi dresses.
- Outerwear like trenches, bomber jackets, and oversized jackets can create many outfits.
Remember, certain fabrics lend themselves well to modest clothing. Look for breathable, comfortable fabrics that don't cling to your body. Linen, cotton, and certain types of silk are all great choices.
One of the easiest ways to dress modestly and style according to casual and formal occasions is to layer your clothing. It involves combining multiple pieces of clothing to achieve a stylish and modest look while ensuring coverage of the body.
Here are some tips for modest clothing layering:
- Start with a base layer such as a long-sleeved shirt, which provides coverage for the arms and neckline.
- Choose complementary pieces like loose-fitting tops, tunics, or blouses.
- Play with lengths to achieve a balanced look. Pair longer tops with narrower bottoms like skirts or skinny jeans and shorter tops with wide-leg pants or maxi skirts.
- Mix and match different textures and fabrics to add visual interest to your outfit.
- Select colours that complement each other and create a harmonious look.
- In colder weather, outerwear plays a significant role in layering. Choose a coat or jacket that fits comfortably over your layered ensemble without compromising modesty.
- Embrace turtlenecks and high-neck tops as these pieces can look incredibly chic and are also very versatile. They can be dressed up or down and are perfect for layering.
The key is prioritising comfort, coverage, and creativity while expressing your fashion sense.
Accessories can make or break an outfit and represent how to dress modestly but fashionably, adding a splash of creativity. You can choose statement pieces which can become the focal point of your outfit.
- Chunky necklaces
- Colourful scarves
- Eye-catching bags
Accessories also give you a chance to show your personality and individual style and can help you style your outfit for any occasion.
5. Add colours and prints
Don't shy away from bold prints and colour as they can turn an outfit from drab to fab. They can add visual interest to your outfit and make you stand out. You can balance them with neutral pieces to avoid looking too busy.
Here’s a few ideas of how colour can transform your outfit:
- If you wear a hijab, consider choosing a brightly coloured one that’ll add a pop of colour to your outfit.
- Use bold, vibrant colours to create a statement. This could be pairing a bright-coloured top with a neutral bottom.
- Don't be afraid to mix patterns. Try mixing a floral print with stripes, or polka dots with plaids.
- A printed scarf can brighten up a modest outfit.
- If you prefer to keep your clothing neutral, consider adding colour to your shoes.
- Patterned or coloured tights can be a fun addition to your outfit, especially in cooler weather.
Remember, the goal is to feel comfortable and confident in your clothing. Don't be afraid to experiment with different colours and prints until you find what works best for you.
6. Get pieces which best suit your body shape
Modest clothing doesn't have to be baggy or shapeless. Choose clothing that fits well and flatters your body shape and can work for any occasion.
Clothes which are too large:
- Can look sloppy.
- Swamps the body's shape.
- They aren’t appropriate for more formal occasions.
While those that are too tight:
- Feel uncomfortable.
- Go against the ethics of modest dressing.
Understanding your body shape is crucial to select clothes that will make you look and feel good. If you feel like your outfit is looking a bit too loose or shapeless, try adding a belt. It can help define your waist and add some structure to your outfit.
Modest fashion challenges the idea that revealing or skin-bearing clothing is the only way to be fashionable.
It's important to remember that styling modest clothing doesn't mean you have to sacrifice style and trendiness. In fact, you can look chic, stylish, and modern while maintaining a modest look.
We have a great selection of modest clothing and pride ourselves on being Australia's leading online outlet. You can purchase our pieces anywhere in the world.
And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us - we're here to show you how to style modest clothing, unleashing the inner fashionista in you.